Hurricane Shoals Park
A Website Devoted to Hurricane Shoals Park & the Tumbling Waters Society of Jackson County, Inc.
The Courthouse was located of Highway 15 (Jefferson Road) in the little city of Thyatira, Georgia. John White donated land for the Harrisburg District Courthouse to Jackson County in 1809. It is not known when the two-room building with its double-faced fireplace was built. It served as the polling place for Harrisburg until 1980, when Harrisburg District voted their polling place moved to the new fire station.
The building was renovated in 1977 to meet government regulations and the center wall was removed to make one large room. The fireplace then was still being used to warm voters on chilly days.
Tumbling Waters Society moved the courthouse to the proposed Heritage Village on December 1993. The renovations were completed by County labor, some by Smith Wilson, and some by volunteers.