top of page

Corn Crib and Tool Shed

Corn Crib and Tool Shed

The Corn Crib/Tool Shed was located on the A. Luther Freeman and Bertha Harris Freeman Dairy Farm on Galilee Church Road in Jefferson and dates to the early 1900’s. The corn stored in the crib was used, not only to feed the animals, but shucked and carried by wagon to the mill, run by Mr. Y. D. Maddox. There it was ground into cornmeal.

The tool shed was used for mule harnesses, ropes, and bridles. The shed also held plows, planters, harrows and other small farm implements. A vise and anvil were mounted on the shelf and on the wall above were a level, hammer, hand saw and other things.

The tool box, kept in a child’s old wagon, contained among other things – a large needle. The eye was large enough to thread the feed sack ravelings that were kept wrapped on a stick. This needle was used to turn feed sacks into cotton sheets or pick sacks with straps. Sheets and sacks were then patched with this needle.

Grooming brushes, currycombs, a supply of Watkins Salve for doctoring animals or folks and a small neck bottle for dosing ailing animals were kept here. On the right of the shed were blacksmith’s bellows, tongs, etc. The forge for firing and heating was located under the adjacent elm tree.

The building was given by Sara Eads and Jean Sailors and was moved from the Freeman Farm in 2000 by the County. Several iron farm implements were given and are located in this shed.

bottom of page